Science Live is managed by the British Science Association (BSA). We take the security of your personal data and the safeguarding of your privacy seriously. The data that we collect, process and use is treated in accordance with this Privacy Information, the General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Protection Act 2018 and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003. We aim to be clear how we collect and use your data and not to do anything with it that you would not reasonably expect.
Science Live processes your data for the following:
To keep your personal data secure, we maintain physical, technical and administrative safeguards. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis. We store your data in a secure cloud-based service which requires ‘two step authentication’ to prevent unauthorised access.
We restrict access to your personal data to only those employees and contractors who need to know that information. In addition, we train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information.
Transfer of your personal information outside the European Economic Area
Science Live is hosted in London. We take steps to try to ensure that they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with the GDPR.
Visitors to our websites
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour information. This information is used to track visitor use of the website and to compile statistical reports on website activity.
For further information, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. You can set your browser not to accept cookies and the above websites tell you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Links to third party websites
The BSA is not responsible for the privacy notices and practices of other websites even if accessed using links from our website. We recommend that you read their privacy policies and have linked to them in this privacy information where we can.
Complaints or queries about this privacy information
The BSA tries to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information and we take any complaints we receive about this very seriously.
You can make a complaint if you think our collection or use of information is inaccurate, unfair or misleading.
We also welcome any suggestions for improving our procedures.
This privacy notice was drafted with brevity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of BSA’s collection and use of personal information. However, we are happy to provide any additional information or explanation needed. Any requests for this should be sent to the address below.
Access to personal information
What can you tell me about the data you have about me?
On receipt of evidence of your identity, we can provide:
- confirmation that your data is being processed;
- access to your personal data; and
- any other supplementary information
In some cases, what will be provided may be limited if in sharing the data we would also be providing data on another individual. In these cases, we may have to ask for consent to contact the other individual for consent, edit out some of the data relating to the individual, or not share a portion of the data. If this is the case, we will communicate this with you as soon as possible and explain the reasoning behind this.
When will the information be provided?
Information will be provided within one month of receipt. However, we may extend the period of compliance by a further two months where requests are complex or numerous. If this is the case, we will inform the you within one month of the receipt of the request and explain why the extension is necessary.
How will the information be provided?
We will verify the identity of the person making the request, using ‘reasonable means’. If the request is made electronically, we will provide the information in a commonly used secure electronic format.
How to contact us
If you have any queries or concerns, please contact our Data Protection Lead:
Director of Strategy & Operations
165 Queens Gate, London, SW7 5HD
Changes to this privacy notice
This Policy was last updated on 08/04/2019.
Terms & conditions
Access to this Site and Changes
- Access to and use of the www.sciencelive.net website ("this Site") is provided by the British Science Association of Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5HD ("we" or "us") subject to these Site Terms.
- Your use of any part of this Site constitutes your acceptance of these Site Terms which takes effect on the date on which you first use this Site. If you do not agree with these Site Terms, you should cease using this Site immediately.
- We reserve the right to change these Site Terms at any time by posting changes online. You are responsible for regularly reviewing information posted online to obtain timely notice of such changes. Your continued use of this Site after changes are posted constitutes your acceptance of the amended Site Terms.
Availability of this Site, Security and Accuracy
- Whilst we endeavour to make this Site available 24 hours a day, we will not be liable if for any reason this Site is unavailable at any time or for any period. We make no warranty that your access to this Site will be uninterrupted, timely or error-free. Access to this Site may be suspended to you personally or to all users temporarily or permanently at any time and without notice. We also reserve the right at any time and without notice to impose restrictions on the length and manner of usage of any part of the Site for any reason. If we impose restrictions on you personally, you must not attempt to use this Site under any other name or through another user.
- We do not warrant that this Site will be compatible with all hardware and software which you may use. Although we may put in place security measures for your protection, we shall not be liable for damage to, or viruses or other code that may affect, any computer equipment, software, data or other property as a result of your access to, use of or browsing of, this Site or your downloading of any material from it. We shall also not be liable for the actions of third parties in breaching any security measures.
- Any information found on this Site is intended for guidance only. We may change this Site and anything described in it without notice to you.
- Whilst we endeavour to ensure that information on this Site is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given that it is complete, accurate or up-to-date and we do not accept any liability for any errors or omissions.
- Nothing on this Site shall constitute legal, financial or other advice. You should consult your professional adviser if you require such advice.
Our liability to you
- We accept liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence and for fraudulent misrepresentation. TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, FOR OTHER RESULTS OF OUR NEGLIGENCE, WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT LOSSES OR FOR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES.
- TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE BY LAW, EXCEPT AS A RESULT OF OUR NEGLIGENCE WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSSES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF BUSINESS OR LOSS OF PROFITS) ARISING IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE FROM THE USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THIS SITE, OR ANY MATERIAL CONTAINED IN IT OR ACCESSIBLE FROM IT, OR FROM ANY ACTION OR DECISION TAKEN AS A RESULT OF USING THIS SITE OR ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
- WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY ARRANGEMENT MADE WITH ANYONE NAMED OR CONNECTED WITH OR ACCESSED THROUGH THIS SITE. Your submission of material to this Site and your liability
- We may use any material, information and data that you submit to us or this Site for any purpose. You agree that you waive your moral rights to be identified as the author and we may modify your submission.
- Please note that the content of the Site is aimed at users aged 18 and above, and you must be over 18 years to register on the Site.
- You shall not submit any material, information or data to us or to this Site which in any respect:
- is in breach of any statute, regulation or byelaw of any jurisdiction;
- may breach the intellectual property rights or privacy or other rights of any third party;
- may be obscene, indecent, pornographic, vulgar, racist, sexist, discriminatory, offensive, harmful, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, malicious, abusive, hateful, menacing, defamatory, untrue or political;
- is fraudulent, criminal or unlawful;
- is inaccurate; or
- may be contrary to our interests.
- You shall not impersonate any other person or body or misrepresent a relationship with any person or body or adopt a false identity if the purpose of doing so is to deceive or defraud others.
- You must not interfere with another person's use of this Site or otherwise act in a way that negatively affects another person's use of this Site.
- We will not be responsible or liable for any error, omission or inaccuracy in the material, information or data supplied by you or other users to this Site and we reserve the right to omit, suspend or edit any material, information or data submitted.
- You shall fully and promptly indemnify us against all damages, proceedings, claims, demands, liabilities, losses, charges, costs and expenses which we may suffer or incur as a result (direct or indirect) of any breach by you of these Site Terms or as a result of any material, information or data submitted by you to us or to this Site.
- The British Science Association name [and logo] and all related product and service names, design marks and slogans are the trademarks or service marks of us or our suppliers.
Third Party Web Sites
- We accept no responsibility for the content of any site to which a link from this Site exists. The links are provided "as is" with no warranty, express or implied, for the information provided within them.
Use of User Names and Passwords
- You may need to use a user name and password for access to restricted areas of this Site. In that event, you must not use that part of this Site unless you first expressly agree to these Site Terms. If you are classified as a "member" of the restricted area, this does not necessarily mean that you are a member of the British Science Association.
- We may change what is available in any restricted areas of this Site from time to time without notice.
- You must at all times keep the user name and password strictly confidential and secure.
- You must not choose a password which can be readily guessed.
- You shall not disclose or allow others to have access to the user name or password without our prior permission.
- If you think you may have lost or allowed a third party to see or use your user name or password, you must inform us immediately.
- You shall be responsible for all use of our Site made under your user name.
- We reserve the right in our sole discretion to reject any request by you for a user name or password.
- We may require that your user name or password is changed from time to time.
- If any of these terms should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable by reason of the laws of any state or country in which these terms are intended to be effective, then to the extent and within the jurisdiction which that term is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, it shall be severed and deleted and the remaining Site Terms shall survive, remain in full force and effect and continue to be binding and enforceable. Contacting us
- If you are aware of any misuse of this Site by another person in breach of these Site Terms, please report this to us as soon as possible.
- If you want to contact us for any reason, please contact us using the contact information listed on this Site. English law and jurisdiction
- These Site Terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. You submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts to settle any dispute which may arise under these Site Terms.